Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Emptiest Days

I'm looking for the well that won't run dry
The rest the weary soul cannot deny
When you wrap your arms around me,
I can walk away or face the emptiest days.

When I first heard this song in Derek Webb's soulful voice it seemed a little whiny to me, but something struck me about it. There was a grown-up honesty with which I longed to identify. There are empty days, and on one of them, when I couldn't think of another praise song, this one was in my memory. That's the power of a song to bring you to your maker and help you rest in His truth there.

I read these verses this morning, which I feel are a corrollary to "The Emptiest Days":

Thou hast put gladness in my heart,
More than when their grain and new wine abound.
In peace I will both lie down and sleep,
For Thou alone, O LORD, dost make me to dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:7-8

Selah

No comments: