Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Seasons Change

We had an earthquake this morning. In Oklahoma! Everything was still, then the house shook for few seconds, then was gone. My house doesn't seem to have any damage; the only thing I can tell was affected at all is a metal plaque hung in my baby's room that is now slightly askew.

Not coincidentally, I'm sure, I was listening to selections from Crystal Lewis's Beauty for Ashes album, and started paying attention when "Seasons Change" came on. Not a lot of lyrics to this one, and the title is the thesis. But here are verse one and the chorus:

Are you going through a dry spell
Yes I've been there before
Where the trees are slowly withering
Where their roots cry out for more
Where the desert floor is dry and cracked
No clouds hand in the sky
No winter rain or spring it seems
No change in sight

(Chorus)
But seasons change
And then they pass
No way to know how long they'll last
I'd love to know the reason why
But God knows
Seasons change


Our family has been throug a very rough season the past five weeks or so. I am wondering if it will be just like that earthquake. Coming out of nowhere, shaking things up, and then over just as suddenly as it began. In the middle of it it doesn't seem like just a blip. It is completely consuming and the terror is undeniable. One's senses come into sharp focus, and all whole world seems intensified, with every word and event taking on significance. Perhaps during such times are very teachable.

The challenges of the past five weeks have coincided with a literal changing of seasons. It is Fall in Oklahoma, and while this has been an inexplicably jarring season, I have taken great comfort in the beauty of the blue sky, the marigold, crimson, and pumpkin colors of Fall, and the cool breezes. They are gifts from a good God, and I can thoroughly enjoy them, and Him, during this season.

I don't know how long this will last - I think the song is right that there's just no way to know. I know for sure that even if it is over tomorrow it will be just as unforgettable as today's earthquake.

No comments: