Saturday, June 04, 2005

Pause

Six days shall you work, and on the seventh you shall rest.

Noon approaches this Saturday morning and the coffee is still warm. I have decided that on this day I am going to do no work at all - at least no housework or no job-work. There are some serious chores that need to be done around the house, and I could certainly find ways to spend time perfecting my craft, but as much as I care about those things, I know I need to be still right now and let the peace and joy of God cascade about me. As I lay in bed this morning thinking about how I could possibly spend a day not working at all, a bible verse occurred to me with a meaning I'd never considered before. Do not conform to the standard of the world, but renew your mind. That's one objective of this rest day - and there I go - being task-oriented even while at rest - but surely rest has its purposes. Even in a Psalm of praise there are selah's - moments when the music lingers and the worshippers wait. Moments that linger over coffee bring out the sweetness and sweep of life in a way that transcends the moment itself. I pause to be renewed in this wonder and awe.

No comments: