Thursday, June 15, 2006

Wonderful, Wonderful Jesus!

My music minister introduced me to a hymn a few weeks ago by singing it as a special. I'm so glad he did - it's a good one, and I really like it because it talks about songs. Here comes the first verse:

There is never a day so dreary,
There is never a night so long
But the soul that is trusting in Jesus
Will somewhere find a song.


The other verses have the same effect - there is never a situation in which the godsong can't be heard in a Christian's heart. This is a tremendous reality for christians that I'm just beginning to embrace myself. The chorus brings the praise back to Jesus -

Wonderful, wonderful Jesus,
In the heart He implanteth a song:
A song of deliverance, of courage, of strength;
In the heart He implanteth a song.


I like to think of the song as joy, which is part of the fruit of the Spirit. That joy is a token - an intimation of things not seen, but believed. I would not know to sing a song of joy unless someone else were provoking me to do so, and I'm so glad the song is there, reminding me that God is good.

Words: Anna B. Russell. Music: Ernest O. Sellers

2 comments:

Kurt McKee said...

I'm definitely a fan of that song as well, and I'm glad to be reminded of it! Now if I can just figure out where I put that all-important photocopy of the music...

PS - I disagree with disallowing anonymous commenting.

robert said...

Thanks for posting Anna Russell's fine gospel song. (Today is actually the 55th anniversary of her death.) And it's true, isn't it. The Lord can give His child a song, even at midnight in a prison cell (Acts 16:25).

If you enjoy hymns and their history, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns. God bless.