Thursday, May 17, 2007

How good and pleasant

This morning I do not have a particular song that goes with this scripture. Perhaps if someone knows of one they will let me know.

I have been thinking about working together in unity, and read Psalm 133 last night. It's full of imagery that makes me wonder.

"How good and pleasant it is
when brothers live together in unity.
It is like precious oil poured on the head,
running down on Aaron's beard,
down upon the collar of his robes.
It is as if the dew of Hermon
were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the Lord bestows his blessing,
even life forevermore."

What gets through to me here is that: a) It is good when brothers live together in unity! 2) It is like when the chief priest is blessed. Aaron became the head of the priestly order, and I assume that most of the time he would be the one doing the annointing, but in this case, it's Aaron himself getting blessed. When brothers live in unity, even the leaders get blessed, and that blessing inevitably overflows to others. 3) It is refreshing when brothers dwell together in unity. 4) Just as Mount Zion is already blessed, those who are blessed can still stand another blessing. Unity among brethren is just such an extra blessing.

Let me know if you know a song that goes with this Psalm, so I can sing it and keep the idea in my heart.

In any case, this is what I was thinking of today, because I have been pleased to see a bit of unity lately. I know the Lord is pleased by it, too.

1 comment:

Matt said...

The song “Hinei Ma Tov” (Behold How Good) is based on this psalm. A version that incorporates both Hebrew and English into the lyrics can be found on the Shalom Jerusalem album, Track 9.