Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Masses

Today was a big day. We saw Claude Monet, Mr. (first name unknown) Degas, Whistler, Botticelli, and Frank Lloyd Wright at the Art Institute of Chicago Museum. It was free day so there were throngs of people there. Then we saw Rick Bayless 0f Mexico, One Plate at a Time fame, at his restaurant, where we had dinner. He's a bit of a hero to us, and there he was, in our midst - how very Mexican - like the wrestling heroes that walk in the midst of their fans in Mexico City. Then we got together with thousands of others in Grant park and watched Paul Newman in The Hustler. The park is situated in the elbow curve of high-rises that face Lake Superior, so the movie was framed by the beautiful, gently but definitely lit skycrapers. I looked at them and thought - it's all people. The big buildings and businesses - it's all made up of lots and lots of people. Then I caught the eye of someone seated in front of me, then another person, and I wasn't afraid, instead, I felt warmth. And I thought, Jesus looked at them, and had compassion on the masses. And I was impressed by Jesus' liberality.

No comments: