Saturday, December 27, 2008

Welcome to Our World

It's a bit late, but here is a post about a Christmas song.

"Welcome to Our World" wasn't originally on a Christmas album, but it is Chris Rice's best contribution to the Christmas repertoire. I remember making up a creative dramatic movement to this song that involved sign language and acting and having a group perform it at a Christmas party for our campus ministry. The words are sheer poetry and the melody is a lilting, yet plaintive lullabye.

As usualy, Rice has his doctrine right and at the ready so ably that one hardly notices it: he speaks of the baby who's "been promised/ we've been waiting," as though he were one of the Jews who knew a Messiah was prophesied. He writes of the incarnation in both physical and spiritual terms: "fragile fingers sent to heal us/ tender brow prepared for thorns/ tiny heart whose blood will save us." To this tiny infant, he sings a prayer for salvation: "wrap our injured flesh around you/ breathe our air and walk our sod/ rob our sin and make us holy/ perfect son of God." There has only ever been one baby on whom such hopes could be hung. It is a wonder, still, to think that the Savior was once a baby. To me it shows that God must love babies.

I suppose it is because I have my own tiny baby now that the reality of the incarnation seems more wondrous to me this year. A baby changes one's perspective on life; mine has done more than that and simply rocked my world. It was a world that needed rocking, though, and I'm so glad she's here. So baby, welcome to our world. I pray you grow up loving your Savior who came as a baby for you, loving His Word, and all the bright and beautiful things He made, especially music and poetry.

This blog began a few years ago as a response to Handel's Messiah during a Christmas visit to my grandparents' home. At the time I felt like I needed to start writing/doing something new. Now that another joyful Christmas has rolled around, I sense that this blog will take a new turn and be more personal responses to songs. We'll see.

Happy New Year to anyone who reads this -

Kim



I suppose that it is

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I love that song, too - the simple yet heart-felt lyrics often bring tears to my eyes. And so did your post! What a beautiful commentary on what this song means to you!

I would love to hear more personal thoughts on songs' meanings from you, but, whatever turn your writing takes, I'm sure there are many thoughtful reads ahead!