Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Date Night

Happiness is... going on a long date with your husband, stretching from afternoon to evening. We saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I love spy movies for the same I liked this one: the application of human intelligence and prowess to its fullest potential. It's fictional, but fascinating. They're all preposterous in some way, of course, but still, even seeing imagined genius is satisfying. So, I want to write later about fig leaves in editing. Ebert said something about this film that made me want to watch it- namely, that Guy Ritchie edited this film so that we weren't merely left to guess what was happening during the fight scenes. He said it showed confidence to do so. On one hand, I think the assertion is a true one that certain editing schemes are meant to hide what a film lacks. On the other hand, I was guessing, and confused, during fight scenes. The first time I saw Mission Impossible (the first one) I was thoroughly confused. Watching it later I saw everything fall into place. I definitely want to see the new MI film. As for Sherlock, I understood most of what happened within the last five minutes of the film, and as I said, I enjoyed the parts I talked about. But I wonder, was anyone else as lost as me?

No comments: