Wednesday, December 21, 2011

O Wondrous Love

Okay, today, happiness is wearing Christmas tree earrings my MIL gave me. Check 'em out.
I was reading Hebrews 13 today as part of my group Bible study, and have been reminded by the first three verses about the love we are to show both to fellow believers and to strangers. What a wonderful time of year to be reminded of this. What a wonderful love provides us the freedom to love, to do good, to show hospitality. What wondrous love! I got thinking about this song. It's a Sovereign Grace song, and I'm not sure that this cover is licensed. Hopefully this is okay. If anyone objects, I'll take it down. I know this isn't specifically at Christmas song, but it is the song my heart is singing at this time during this season, and I think it fits well. I love giving gifts - I probably take it too far. Somewhere at the heart of it is the kernel of truth that I've been given a great gift, a wondrous love "that sings of Calvary/ The sweetest song this sinner's ever known." I did not deserve this gift. Inherent in giving a gift is that it is not deserved or earned. That God would come to earth to provide a way for me to come to him humbles me, breaks me, makes my cold heart open up every time I am reminded of this gospel. So, while it is easy to lose sight of the gospel at Christmas, I am grateful for this reminder, and go back into the festivities now with a song in my heart - this song - and a sense of wonder at God's perfect love. Also, for fun, enjoying these festive earrings. ;)

No comments: