Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Obsolete

Well, I admit it.  I am not cool.  I am also reminded constantly that it is no longer my generation's moment - the torch has passed.  Or so I think...

I'm kind of confused as to what "generation" I belong to.  I have heard Generation Y described as those born 1978-1999.  If so, I am Gen Y's elder sister.  If it starts with 1980, I am the littlest X'er.  Both seem right to me.  I alternately feel like both Meg and Amy.

Part of this has come from the realization that younger people are doing cooler things than me, and that they do not speak my language and I do not speak theirs.  It's kind of painful.  I want to connect but feel... obsolete.  Like I have to think of all new metaphors, and they have to translate through Twitter.  I just can't keep up.

I wonder if anyone can.  I heard a college freshman the other day say something to the effect of, "Older generations complain that we do everything too fast.  Why do they complain about us being fast?  Why don't they just let those of us who are fast do our thing, and the slower ones just get out of the way?"  I doubt the guy was aware of the social darwinism of that statement.  I think he just likes speed - as do I - and I think he is 18 and hasn't found his limit.  One day he will sing a different tune.

I don't think it will be a day too far off, either.  Gen Y faces a volatile job market that will require various lateral moves, constant self-upgrading, and geographical mobility to stay on top of the game.  Sooner or later, most people will find themselves obsoletized.  We all know this, but Gen Y'ers are going to have a harder time dealing with it.  The advantage of ten years gave my husband a stable career, and even then, we are never entirely certain of what the future will hold.  It is going to require a lot more creativity on the part of the the new workforce.

Sara Groves' song "obsolete" bridges the generations, who may have different comfort or familiarity levels with the current technological/social media network situation, which she wisely dubs "invisible emppires," but who all have to wonder if they're able to keep up and remain relevant.  I've posted a live performance below, which is beautiful.  A few of my favorite lines and then you can just watch it:

It's hard to feel disqualified
For living in a different time
As if the train will only stop
For the current paradigm


Sara Groves performing Obsolete in Indy. Hosted by Onyx Ministry from Onyx Ministry on Vimeo.



No comments: