Thursday, February 02, 2012

What have I to ask beside?


All the way my Savior leads me,
Cheers each winding path I tread;
Gives me grace for every trial,
Feeds me with the living Bread.
Though my weary steps may falter,
And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see;
- "All the way my savior leads me," lyric by Fanny Crosby


The picture above was taken on the neighborhood path 3 months after Stefan is born (I am holding him but he's hard to see).  I took a walk around that path again yesterday, talking to God about where He's leading me, and where He's leading my family.  I thought about where He'd led me before, and the difficulty I'd had providing an explanation for my behavior to others.  I'd even come up with explanations that seemed more logical.  "Well, if I do ___, then I can do ________ in the future." These explanations were half-hearted stumblings.  I realized yesterday as I walked that I just did those things because that is where my savior led me, and if they didn't lead to anything else, they at least let me walk with him, which is all I've ever truly desired or aspired to.

All the way my Savior leads me;
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well;

Chris Tomlin has an updated recording of this song; our choir has it in our repertoire.  It's lovely.  I couldn't find an "official" version online, so I can't link you to it.  But if you're interested, you can look it up.

No comments: