Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sometimes you don't

I posted about making these cookies the other day to satisfy my chocolate craving and calm my inner crazy mom.  I made half of the pan with nuts, and half without, because sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't.  In the pic, the nuts are on the L.  You can see that Scott and I went a little more nuts than not.


I would like to make the note that substituting almonds for walnuts in a cookie bar recipe didn't work great because the almonds got a little rubbery.  But it still tasted sweet and chocolatey, was highly edible, and worked for me.

As for nuts, we have a bowl of them on our kitchen island.  They've been sitting there since Christmas.  We bought them thinking it would be fun to use with the nutcracker Kyrstin got for her birthday.  She loves nutcrackers, as her excitement in this picture attests.

As it turns out, though, the nuts were too strong for the nutcracker, which was actually decorative.  Not being "nut" people (in one sense) we didn't know that.  So, now we have this big bowl of nuts, plus another amount the same size where that came from in the pantry.  I'm not sure what to do with them.  I don't feel like having them out anymore, but I can't waste all those walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, and almonds.  I'm not likely to individual crack and chop them to cook with.  Anybody wanna go nuts?


No comments: