Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sometimes you feel like a nut

There are cookie bars baking in my oven.  Let me tell you the story of how they came to be.

Last night, around 1:30, our little boy started fussing.  We tried rocking and holding him, to no avail.  We tried to let him cry it out, but he would not let up and we could not sleep.  We finally gave him some tylenol, held him for 20 minutes after that, and then let him go back to sleep.  We think it is a teething issue as there was a wet spot on his sleeve right where he likes to chew when he is teething.  All in all this took two hours - so, around 3:30, I'm snuggling under the covers, thankful, and zzzz....

7:30 my daughter comes into bed with us.  We are tired, but happy because it's a Saturday, so we can take it slow and be together.  Breakfast is nice, and with coffee, I feel like kind of a decent person.  Until the kids start being weird.  Then we have errands to run, and I feel like I'm dragging them around in the van, though heavier than our automobile seems to be the accumulating thoughts of everything that annoys me in life.  The coffee starts to wear off.  I have nothing nice to say, so say mostly nothing to anyone.  I contemplate the fact that my tiredness from being up two hours in night watches does not explain or justify my total change of attitude from breakfast to errands, but it does contribute.

After lunch I decide that what will make me feel better is to bake something chocolaty.  Start out going for cookies, but realize we are out of sugar, so switch to bars.  I realize also that cooking and/or eating chocolate is really not going to make the difference in my attitude, but that it will contribute.  We have most of the ingredients on hand - graham crackers, sweetened condensed milk, flaked coconut, and chocolate chips, but no walnuts.  I decide to sub some of the almonds that we have, though I put them only on half of the pan since they might constitute a choking hazard for the little boy.

The combo of chocolate, coconut, and almonds reminds me of Almond Joy.  So I figure that half of my pan of cookie bars will be Mounds, and half will be Almond Joy.  This split really is an apt metaphor for my day, and a lot of days: sometimes I feel like a nut, and sometimes I don't.


No comments: