Thursday, January 05, 2012

I rang

I am feeling very British and pampered right now. I programmed both my breadmaker and coffeemaker for 6:30 tomorrow morning. The way I hope it works, the coffee will start brewing at 6:30, which is right when I will need to take the bread out of the machine to let it cool for 20 minutes before I slice it. I imagine myself enjoying some coffee while I wait on my bread. Doesn't that sound nice? This is inspired by Jane Austen, directly and indirectly. My husband got me a few Austen-themed gifts for Christmas, and my imagination has luxuriated around Longbourne, Netherfield, and Pemberley. Yes, even Longbourne, because let's face it, even being a shabby aristocrat is still the life. One perk is that someone makes all of your meals for you on a certain schedule. You can even "ring for breakfast" if you want it at an hour earlier than it would customarily be laid out in the house. The thought of ringing for breakfast when it suits you really suited me, so I decided to arrange for my own breakfast to be made. Bread and coffee doesn't make a whole breakfast, especially when little kids are eating with you, but it will be a nice way to start the day. Happiness is being your own cook, maid, and butler. It will be worth it for the aromas alone. *Technical note*: for some reason over the past month my paragraph breaks have disappeared. When I'm composing they're there, but what I see does not translate.

No comments: