Saturday, August 17, 2013

I can't keep up

Yesterday I meant to write a post and tell you about the blessings of the day before. I got interrupted, mid-way, by my son. When I got him up, we played for awhile, and in our play, he started naming things. I had grabbed a wand with a pointy hand on the end of it, and pointed to "truck, box, Stefan." He grabbed the wand and went around the room, showing me up. "Box, truck, truck, table, chair, shirt, milk..." Of course the words weren't clearly articulated, but they were there, and he knew. Not just receptively - he can speak. It was a little miracle that came out of an interruption. It reminded me of a quote from Caussade embedded in One Thousand Gifts. "You would be very ashamed if you knew what the experiences you call setbacks, upheavals, pointless disturbances, and tedious annoyances really are. Youwould realize that your complaints about them are nothign more nor less than blasphemies - though that never occurs to you. Nothing happens to you except by the will of God, and yet [God's] beloved children curse it because they do not know it for what it is." I will get back to telling you about the other day - the surprise blessing of childhood creativity - unless God keeps interrupting and I never catch up.

No comments: