Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Surprised by joy



 I feel like I should be writing more, but am not sure where to start. I think the days of trying to measure and mold every particle and product of my life are behind me, and I'm emerging into a brave new world of keeping up and pressing on. Which means I have to dare a little bit, and live a life that could very well be characterized by courage, grown from a mustard seed of faith.

My son has been back in school for a few weeks now. On his first day back at school, he had a rough start. They called me about an hour into the day, to let me know about an incident and injury. It was the same kind of thing he would have done at home. As usual, I have a hard time helping people know how to respond to moments like that, because I am not sure how to respond. That is a different story, though.

 My daughter and I went to a play date, which I had mentioned before. We came home, and as I was preparing lunch for the kids, I played some instrumental music while she painted. Often her paintings are kind of wild and unstructured because I just give her the freedom to play with color. She'd been quiet for a few minutes, and I began to dread the sight of paint all over the walls and floors. She never does that, so, now that I think about it, it was an irrational thing to fear. In any case, instead of my fears being realized, my blessing materialized. I walked over to a beautiful painting, the one that is now hanging in my bedroom and matches my brightly-colored IKEA bedspread (which was also a blessing at $10).

I could not believe it. She described it as lanterns, like from the movie *Tangled*. The description touched my heart just as much, because when that movie first came out, Kyrstin still had very long, blonde hair. Whenever I'd watch the lantern scenes, and Rapunzel would feel that they were somehow meant for her, it would always remind me of the song "Maybe There's a Loving God," by Sara Groves.

  I'm trying to work things out
 I'm trying to comprehend 
Am I the chance result 
Of some great accident 
I hear a rhythm call me 
The echo of a grand design
 I spend each night in the backyard 
Staring up at the stars in the sky
 Maybe this was made for me 
For lying on my back in the middle of a field 
Maybe that's a selfish thought 
Or maybe there's a loving God

 I'd always thought that a mural of the lanterns floating upward would be great for my little girl's room. Beautiful, dreamy and symbolic of an upward call. I've never quite been able to express that to her; she will understand someday, I am sure. Especially when He really starts calling her. I've been sentimental about the lanterns all the same, and for her to paint them, and for us to share this joyful moment together, was a blessing I'm so glad I can frame and hang on my bedroom wall.

No comments: