Friday, April 20, 2007

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

I watched the Hallmark TV movie Love Came Softly last night and it made me feel good. It's based on a book by Janette Oke which I read when I was younger - junior high/high school, I think. It's about settlers in the pioneer West, seemingly mid-nineteenth century. If you'd like to see a heartwarming film and you like pioneer stories, check it out from Blockbuster, like I did.

The best part about the film is that it reminded me to be thankful for little things. Everything that Clark and Marty Davis have they prayed for or made with their own hands, including the cabin they live in. It made them thankful for friends, warms fires, and fried chicken. Since there was no minister in that part of the country, Clark set up a bench atop a hill overlooking sloping meadows, and be his own church choir singing "Come Thou Fount." Now, just so you know, Clark didn't want it to be a solo thing; in fact, he doesn't call it "church" until his wife joins him. When she does, that hymn makes her think of all the things the Lord provided for her, and makes her glad.

Watching the movie did the same thing for me. It was a great reminder to be thankful for the simple things. It doesn't take a particular song to make me thankful, but a good song can help. If you'd like to hear this one and read the words, you can go to http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/c/o/comethou.htm.

Have a good one today - may you remember the Lord's mercies anew!

No comments: