Thursday, October 18, 2012

No greater love

I am about to go to bed with a messy house. It's okay. I can clean it tomorrow. But before I do, I wanted to reflect on the wonderful friends the Lord has brought into our lives these past eleven years in Oklahoma.

When you are about to move, or your friend is, you begin to realize what a gap will be left in your life. It is sad. At the same time, that feeling lets you know how deeply significant those relationships have been, and you are deeply grateful.

As I look at the faces in this picture, I think of the stories of their lives and ours; the joys and new beginnings, the sorrows and losses, of the past decade. Not just these pictured here, but others, too, whose lives have touched our own in such a way that they have become part of our story.

This morning I read 1 John 3:16, "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers." I was reflecting on ways that these friends and others have laid down their lives for one another over the years.

I hope I don't sound maudlin; I have shared plenty of light moments and my cup of humor consistently overflows among these good people. But in little bits of time here, a card there, a prayer continuously renewed, a meal provided, child care offered, a word of scripture spoken at the right time, through a wise teaching, or a home opened and welcoming, in all of these ways, love is shown.

Circumstances sometimes call for great sacrifices. Christ's sacrifice was the ultimate and the most complete, redeeming from sin and destruction all who believe in His authority. The redeemed know how much Christ valued them and what they are called to give in return. Lives are given for others as they are lived: just a little bit at a time.

No comments: