Monday, July 30, 2012

Why it matters



To quote from a few classic films:
Casablanca: Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. 
The Naked Gun: It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans!

 Above, you see a picture of the lentils that my husband cooked yesterday while I was out. They were delicious.  We had them for dinner, and will have them again today for lunch.  It seems like such a small thing, but it's a big deal.  I didn't have to cook last night, and today, I can just have a good time with the kids and not have to worry about fixing lunch.  It makes a big deal.  It spoke volumes of love and encouragement to me.

Here's lookin' at you, babe!

I don't think it's selling my birthright to be thrilled over these bowls of soup.  The little things, as well as the big, matter.  I keep thinking of this song by Sara Groves when it comes to creating music.  It's easy to get discouraged and thing that what I want to write or sing about doesn't amount to a hills of beans in this crazy world.  This song encourages me and reminds me that a song can be like that cup of cold water - refreshing, life-giving.

Here is Sara Groves performing "Why it Matters"  at an International Justice Mission event.  Enjoy!


GPG 2009 - "Why It Matters" by Sara Groves from International Justice Mission on Vimeo.



1 comment:

Lorelei said...

Jon made dinner recently, too, and it was a "big thing" in my world as well. Two days (because of leftovers) of not having to prepare dinner was awesome. Lentil recipe?